Myths and Realities of Marijuana Addiction
Is Reefer Madness Real? Can you get addicted to marijuana? Am I addicted to pot? Do I need help?” If you’re asking questions like these, you may be confused about marijuana. There are lots of myths out there, and it can be hard to sort them out. Here are some of the biggest myths the staff at Archstone Recovery Center of the Palm Beaches hear regularly.
- You can’t get addicted to marijuana.
- Pot makes you do crazy things.
- Because pot is “natural,” it isn’t harmful.
- Weed can be addictive. It’s not as addictive as many other drugs, like heroin, OxyContin, or even alcohol, but a small percentage of pot smokers do become addictive—and marijuana addiction can be just as devastating as other kinds of addiction.
- Don’t believe everything you see on TV—marijuana won’t make you violent and it doesn’t cause hallucinations. What it does do is to loosen your inhibitions, similar to alcohol, so that you might not have the same boundaries. A word of warning, though: marijuana is often treated with other chemicals, such as embalming fluid or PCP, and if you unknowingly smoke it, you will feel the more severe and dangerous effects of those drugs.
- Marijuana can be used to treat some medical conditions with great results. However, that doesn’t mean that it does not have side effects like any other drug. Almost all drugs are derived from plants one way or another—being “natural” has nothing to do with how they affect your body. Just like painkillers, sedatives, and anesthetics, drugs with legitimate medical uses can also be abused, leading to addiction.
Rehabilitation Treatment for Marijuana Addiction
If you want to stop smoking weed but you can’t, you may need rehabilitation treatment for marijuana addiction. Archstone Recovery, a top-rated, accredited drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility in Lantana, Florida, has a range of treatment options that can help you, ranging from residential and partial hospitalization programs to outpatient, transitional care, and extended care programs. Pot users from New York (NY), New Jersey (NJ), Baltimore (MD), Washington DC, New England, Florida (FL), and all over the United States travel to Palm Beach International Airport to experience Archstone Recovery’s unique holistic approach to addiction treatment and rehabilitation. If you’re ready to put down the bong and reclaim your life, get in touch with Archstone Recovery today.